Welcome to Intro to Online Journalism.
Thanks to an ever-growing number of digital tools and platforms, and the rapid changes in how people use them, technology is providing journalists with new and innovative ways to:
- Generate story ideas
- Gather and report information
- Engage the public
- Tell stories using different media
- Publish and promote content
Intro to online journalism will focus on all of these aspects. Through in-class exercises, homework and other assignments, students will immediately put to use the tools they learn about in class, which include:
- Social media and real-time media, including Facebook and Twitter
- Hardware and software for capturing and editing various forms of multimedia, including audio and video
- Google’s variety of applications (Reader, Maps, Docs)
- Other Web applications and services
This class will provide students with a well-rounded understanding of online journalism and the potential roles for technology in every step of the way, from coming up with story ideas to promoting and measuring readership of the content. Given how rapidly media technology will continue to evolve, students will not only need to be fluent in the current set of online journalism tools, but they’ll also need to be ready for constant change.
By the end of the semester, students should:
- Be proficient in a variety of forms of multimedia storytelling
- Have gained a solid understanding of which media are appropriate for different kinds of stories
- Have mastered the technical aspects of multimedia storytelling, including:
- Creating and maintaining a blog
- Use of social media tools
- Audio and video (recording and editing)
- Producing audio slideshows
- Creating interactive maps
Questions, comments, suggestions? Let me know below!